Today’s tool for healthier eating couldn’t be any more simple, but don’t let that deceive you. Using this simple tool on a regular basis can make it much easier to live a healthier life in your kitchen-and beyond. What is this miracle tool, you may be wondering. The answer is humble label. Yes, a well labeled kitchen can offer you a host of benefits when it comes to making healthy eating almost effortless. Continue Reading
Fresh herbs can make the plainest meal appear gourmet instantly, but fresh herbs do more than enhance appearance. Fresh herbs are a fantastic tool to make your eating both more flavorful and healthier. Because of herbs’ hearty nature, even gardeners with the brownest thumbs can tackle an herb garden. Whether you have acres of land or just a small windowsill, you can successfully plant your own thriving herb garden. All you need is a little time and some potting soil!
If you have browsed through Pinterest or turned on a daytime talk show lately, you probably know how popular professional grade blenders have come. While these blenders are fantastic for making healthy foods, they aren’t always practical for every budget, nor are they always easy to quickly pull out to make a fast and healthy meal. Whether a fancy full size blender is not for you, or just not helping you meet your healthy eating goals all the time, there is an answer for you!
Gone are the carb filled days of decades past. Today’s advances in science and nutrition have shown us that while our bodies do need complex carbohydrates for energy, the refined grains that fill foods like pastas offer little nutritional value and turn almost instantly into harmful sugar when consumed.
Without question, technology has permeated every aspect of our lives these days. And while technology’s presences brings with it both pros and cons, when it comes to living a healthier lifestyle technology or website tool Plagiarism Checker can definitely be a powerful tool to enlist in making healthier eating easier than ever before.
- Do Some Quick Research on the Go. Headed to try a new restaurant? Having a hard time making a decision on what to purchase at the grocery store? You hold the tool you need in the palm of your hand on your smartphone. Use the internet to quickly search for the healthiest menu options at a particular restaurant, find out potential allergens in dishes, or download different free apps to get ratings on the healthfulness of items found in your grocery store.
- Create an Electronic Food Journal. Food journals are an excellent means to work towards healthier eating, but they only work if you actually use them! (link to previous post on food journals?) Increase your odds of keeping up with your food journaling by using a notes feature on your phone or tablet to log the details of your food intake. Since your phone or tablet is likely with you most of the time you’ll be more likely to have a more likely to quickly enter your data and thus have complete journal than if you are constantly forgetting to tote a cumbersome notebook around with you all the time.
- Keep Up with Grocery Lists. If you are like most people, the times you when most often give into the temptation of buying junk food at the grocery store is when you shop without a list to give you guidance. Create your list electronically, store it on your phone, and you’ll never be without your list again.
- Find Tried and True Healthy Recipes. If you are new to healthy eating you may be wondering where to start. While you could invest in stacks of expensive and space consuming books you may or may not like, the internet has plenty of recipes for you to try out, all with just the click of your mouse. Whether you are aiming for a vegan diet, gluten free diet, Paleo diet, or just want to eat more nutritious meals, you’ll have plenty of resources at your fingertips. Even better, you can also find reviews, comments, and modifications from other healthy cooks to save you from making missteps.
In a world filled with complicated gadgets and expensive diet programs it is easy to forget that sometimes the simplest tools are the most effective when it comes to supporting health, wellness, and nutritional goals. One such tool that no healthy eating arsenal is complete without is the humble food journal. Yes, the simple act of recording what you are eating can be a tremendous aid in propelling you towards a healthier lifestyle. Logging what you eat, when you eat it, and how you feel throughout the day can completely revolutionize your eating habits. Read on to find out why!
- Remedy Nutritional Gaps. Even the healthiest eaters among us can unwittingly overlook key nutrients. By recording everything you eat for at least a couple of weeks you’ll have the data you need to see if there are any areas in your diet that needs improvement and then adjust them accordingly.
- Spot Unhealthy Patterns. Recording what you eat and when you eat it will also give you the information you need to spot any unhealthy patterns and pitfalls in your diet.Maybe you tend to skimp on what your body needs for breakfast or maybe you overindulge in desserts in the evenings—whatever the issues may be, your food journal will reveal them so that you can fix them.
- Identify Problematic Foods. Food allergies and intolerances can contribute to a host of health problems, ranging from mild inconveniences to serious health conditions. The challenge comes in the fact that it’s not easy to pinpoint which food(s) may be triggering the problems. By logging what you eat and how you feel, you’ll better be able to identify what the problem may be. Plus, if you need the help of a physician in treating your concerns, your food journal can be a valuable tool to share with your doctor.
- Teach Kids (and adults!) How Food Affects the Body. It’s one thing to tell your kids (or yourself!) that sugar can leave them feeling sluggish or that including protein in a meal can keep them feeling full longer, but until they experience it for themselves it’s hard to really believe it until they experience it firsthand. So instead of nagging kids (or spouses!) to eat a healthier diet, encourage them to keep a food journal so they can see for themselves the difference healthy eating makes!
Thanks to advances in food transportation and technology it is now possible to get virtually any fruit or vegetable you want on any day of the year, regardless of where you are. Supermarket shelves are stocked with exotic fruits and vegetables for you to grab whenever the mood strikes. But, just because you can get out of season produce, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should.
Rather than eating out of season produce shipped from far corners of the world, eating by season is a powerful tool in the quest for a healthier way of eating. Here’s why:
By Choosing to Eat What’s In Season…
- Your Food is Fresher. When you opt for produce that is in season, you are getting options that have been grown much closer to your local market. When fruits and veggies aren’t subjected to going on long journeys from far corners of the world to reach your plate, you get better produce. Time and temperature extremes associated with long travel means nutrients can start to degrade. Eating what’s in season means that you are getting optimal flavor and optimal nutrition!
- You Stretch Your Grocery Budget. Produce that is in season is more readily available, accessible, and affordable for your grocer to purchase. Those advantages can be passed along to you, the consumer. The greater supply of in season fruits and veggies often results in these items going on sale and special. This means you can better afford to fill your cart with the nutritious fruits and veggies that are key to any healthy diet.
- You Naturally Get a Greater Variety of Nutrients. One thing dieticians all agree upon is the importance of getting a variety of nutrients in your diet. Each different food offers its own unique nutritional profile and by eating a wide variety of foods you are able to take advantage of these different benefits. When you change up what you are eating based on what’s in season, you effortlessly introduce a variety of nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals into your diet.
- You Have the Potential to Reduce Your Chemical Intake. Anytime you can reduce the amount of chemical pesticides on the food you and your family eat, it’s a step in the right direction towards a healthier diet. Out of season produce grown in other countries may be sprayed with harsh pesticides that aren’t legal in the U.S. Additionally, when you choose your seasonal produce from smaller, local farmers they often use organic growing practices, even if they haven’t completed the process to be officially labeled as such. Visit your town’s farmer’s market to take advantage of this!
It has been said those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Whoever originally spoke this quote likely did not have food in mind when he or she spoke it, but it is nonetheless accurate and applicable when it comes to healthy eating and creating meal plans.
Taking a bit of time to plan meals in advance is one of the most powerful tools in your arsenal when it comes to nourishing yourself and your family healthfully. If you haven’t given meal planning a try, read on to find out why you don’t want to miss out on this helpful and healthy tool any longer, and how to get started!
Advantages of Meal Planning
Saves Time. Yes, we’ve all heard the excuse, “I just don’t have the time to plan out meals.” While it is true that planning your meals out may take a small initial investment of your time, in the long run having a guide to what you’re going to eat will save you from laboring over the decision each day. Additionally, the time you save on all those last minute trips to the grocery store to get the ingredients for a last minute meal are immeasurable! Bottom line: use your time to prepare healthy meals rather than waste time figuring out what to eat each day.